Journal Entry: May 10, 2023

Today I had my first phone meeting with Tarang. I think I have a job, a dream job. I need a solid foundation, and this is it. This is my six figure job that will allow me to turn a few million in revenue company to a billion dollar company. I need a global supply chain company like this one. I need to take care of my family.



For now I just want a job. I want a step in the door. I want a sign up bonus, like 5K-10K. 5K would be fine. I would be solvent. Right now I am having to think about a dollar, two dollars.

I don't want to mess this up. I have to move carefully, but confidently, respectfully.
First Conversation: Tarang
May 10, 2023

Tarang.

You are anything but old school. You have found a beachhead. You have mastered the core business. You have a global supply chain in place ready to scale. You are busy reimagining. You have to appreciate it. You are doing cutting-edge work. This is very much new school.

(I am in the Hudson Valley, by the way, on I-84. Newburgh.)

And you have the ambition. That combo is extremely rare. You have it. Feel good about it.

The missing piece is marketing. That is me. It is best you stay focused on that core where you are saying I can scale to a 100M revenue easily. As in, I can deliver. Because meeting the created demand is key. Not being able to deliver after creating the demand is suicide.

If it were a short-term thing, I could work as an outside agency. But if the idea is to take the company to a billion-dollar valuation and beyond in five years, it has to be done as a member of a team. When I said, make me an offer, I meant a job offer. I’d come in as your CMO. And we can do it in steps.

One Quarter
One Year
Two Years
Five Years

You say you are at 70K in monthly revenue. You would like to take that to 250K in 3-4 months. I think that is doable. Very doable. Looks like your SEO and social media have both gone kaput. I can make it top-notch. And I will need to build and scale a sales team for the high-ticket clients. Anybody who gives me more than 1,000 dollars in one month deserves a phone call. Those who bring 10K and above will get a dinner meeting. 100K plus? Red carpet treatment. And a lot of them are in New York Metro. That is why Google felt the need to open a big office in NYC.

Bring me on board as the CMO. Give me a signup bonus. I am thinking 5-10K. Put me on salary and give me benefits. I take us from 70K to 250K to beyond over the next two quarters. I think we could be doing 300-500K in six months. Then I present the five-year plan. At that point, you make me Co-Founder and give me generous equity and we march to the billion-dollar valuation.

And it is okay if you make the salary part staggered. As in, one sign-up salary, then revised up salary in three months, then revised up again in six months. We can do that.

And I will need a marketing budget. How much can you give me? For the goal of 250K, it needs to be 25-50K. Digital marketing is like jazz. You play it by the ear. It is a dynamic situation. But the only metric that really matters is the generated demand.

What is your existing marketing budget?

You also mentioned offering digital marketing as a service. You know what. Show me one company that is offering digital marketing plus offline marketing in one package. That combo could be devastating.

Digital marketing can match your core business at the start, and then leave it behind in the dust down the line. Like Netflix DVDs to streaming. But offline will always be real. We will just make it seamless with the digital. People will always want that T-Shirt.

And let’s start right away. Like tomorrow. No point in delaying.

Paramendra
I will keep the Kajabi course like a hobby. Every blog post I have put out is 100 new blog posts. For example, when it says ChatGPT can help a marketer with SEO, the new blog post will simply turn that into a question: "How Can ChatGPT Help A Marketer With SEO?"

But for now my top priority is landing this job with Tarang. I am going to read all I can read and watch all of his videos.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes: 5.11.23 Meeting

Three Month Gameplan